What We Are Looking For
We expect that you
- have 5+ years of working experience in the IT-industry in a technical role
- are familiar with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL) and/or NoSQL databases
- have hands-on experience of some of the major cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure) and/or their more lightweight alternatives (e.g. Heroku)
- have some experience on Docker, DevOps and CI/CD tools and services (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation, Jenkins, Ansible)
- are a team player with good communication skills. You understand the power of working together and want to understand customers' needs and deliver value
- learn and adopt new technologies fast, understand their business impact, and are interested in constantly developing your expertise
Nice To Have
- experience on frameworks built on Express (e.g. NestJS, Sails, FoalTS)
- frontend/full-stack development experience using React, Angular or Vue
- certifications and/or extensive expertise in AWS/GCP/Azure
- experience on testing frameworks such as Jest and Mocha
We expect you to take a key role within the team but also expect you to distribute the leadership. We value people and we believe the best decisions are the ones that are made together. You make the team work.
What You Would Be Doing
The most simple way to tell about your future endeavours is to let our very own Riku to tell you about one of his latest cases, Oikotie.
"The Oikotie case started when our sales had identified an opportunity, which sounded like a great challenge both for me personally, and for us as a company. We discussed the business needs with the customer, and were able to gather a great team to match those targets.
During the project I worked as a lead developer and my role was to make sure that our team was able to work as well as they could. I was responsible for DevOps and backend development of the system: planning the cloud architecture, deciding about technological choices, setting up the cloud environment and initializing the codebase, coding the actual BE logic and APIs, handling the integrations to external systems, and at the same time making sure that the business needs were met. I had a big role to play but it was exactly what I had wanted and asked for. At the end, the best feeling came from customer's comments about our team's work. We did it together, and we did it well."
Riku Luostarinen A seasoned web developer and team lead with a good taste for craft beers.
Let's be honest here. All the software companies in Helsinki are pretty much the same. They are great. We and everyone else offer great salary, nice offices, awesome benefits and next level customers to be working with. There might be things that are better here, some have room for improvement, but nothing dealmaker or dealbreaker. Everyone has their own reasons to stay or leave, and we have dozens of unique stories already.
Let's give the stage to Matias, another awesome lead web developer, to tell his reasons to be a codemate. Matias has an extensive skill set in web development and cloud architecture. Lately, he has been working with our mentoring processes and scaling AWS production environment for a Fortune 500 company.
"We have a perfectly sized company. There's enough power to make great things, but we are small enough that everyone's opinion matters. Codemate makes it possible for me to continuously develop my skills and I can keep myself relevant here. We are working with the latest and greatest technologies, constantly scanning the most promising new technologies. The people here help me get towards my career goals. I have been working in world-class challenges in awesome teams. As an example, I am now working with a team to change the culture in esports.
I also enjoy the freedom and responsibility. Together with your coworkers you get to define what and how we do our work. Work should be fun and I enjoy working with people around me. At Codemate people really matter, and everyone is taken into Codemate family. During my 10 years here, it's been nice to see ex-codemates come back. Half of the people that leave us, come back within 18 months."
Matias Savela, Lead Developer & Mentor
We are eager to hear about you, who you are, what kind of community and challenges you are looking for. And also what you have done in your past career.
If you like to talk directly to codemates Matias and Riku are more than happy to talk to you via email, phone or real postcards. They also know nice places to have a beer or coffee, if you like to start things slow with informal chat. You can also just apply via our website and tell more about yourself, and still get to talk with Matias (click apply) or Riku (click apply).