Overwatch League is a global, world-class esports ecosystem designed from the ground up to ensure that teams and players can thrive for years to come, and that their fans have the best experience possible. Overwatch League melds Blizzard’s experience in esports with best practices of time-honored traditional sports. The inaugural season of the Overwatch League launches in January.
The ideal candidate will be a progressive communications expert with substantial online-media experience. This person will play a central role in establishing and executing the vision for how we reach and expand our online audience. We’re looking for a hands-on field marshal who can rally internal contributors and freelancers to develop content that spreads awareness and inspires passion for the amazing head-to-head and team-vs.-team competition taking place worldwide.
If you’re an innovative, highly capable content professional with a healthy mix of editorial expertise, business acumen, and creativity—and you’re excited about an opportunity to shape communications for a rapidly growing segment of online entertainment at a leading global entertainment organization—then this is the role for you.
- Develop and champion high-impact content strategies.
- Provide editorial oversight for Blizzard’s Web output, ranging from timely esports event coverage to feature articles to graphics-oriented micro content.
- Structure, contract, develop, and finalize third-party contributions, including budgeting and supervising freelance content.
- Ensure our written, graphical, and video-based content is highly engaging and optimized for its target audience
- Seek creative ways to expand the audience and appeal to a global fan base.
- Partner and negotiate with teams locally and globally, including league operations, Web, community, marketing, and PR, to manage site-wide design, scheduling, and production.
- Document and communicate editorial standards that promote clarity, consistency, and appeal.
- Track, report on, and develop new strategies for maximizing content performance.
- Manage content use and rights clearances with internal legal partners as needed.
- A minimum of 7 years’ leadership experience on a publication, news, or entertainment-oriented Web site, or communications team, preferably in video games, esports or traditional sports
- Experience delegating and tracking assignments; managing a budget; and sourcing, contracting, and editing freelance content
- Experience managing a data-driven approach to maximizing audience engagement, including identifying and tracking meaningful success metrics
- Strong knowledge of communications trends and a knack for developing highly engaging, grammatically sound content
- Capable of working effectively across team and regional boundaries and negotiating between conflicting objectives
- Exceptional time- and program-management discipline
- Articulate, persuasive communication and presentation skills
- Deep familiarity with a range of communications tools, including style guides and references, content management systems
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Previous game, sports marketing, or communications agency work experience
- BA / BS in media-related discipline
- Graphic arts background
Required Application Materials
- Writing samples (2-4 clips)
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Overwatch League
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences… ever. Join us!