Nexon is a world leader in online and Free-to-Play games with over 5,500 employees in locations across the planet. We thrive on international creativity, boasting a diverse global portfolio that includes titles like MapleStory, Dungeon Fighter Online, FIFA Online 3, Vindictus, and DomiNations. Always on the lookout for new opportunities, we’ve recently partnered with Respawn Entertainment to develop Titanfall Online for audiences across Asia.
Our roots are originally in Asia, but now Nexon America is expanding aggressively into the Western gaming market. We’re bringing together our extensive experience with online and free-to-play games with some of the best development talent in the industry. Our most recent announcements include LawBreakers, the first game from legendary game designer Cliff Bleszinski’s new studio, as well as a new publishing deal with Austin-based QC Games.
We believe that online games are the greatest art form of all, and we’re looking for like-minded individuals to join our team. If you want to be part of building an exciting gaming company and are ready to free your world, let’s talk.
We are looking for a Copy Editor to join our SoCal Localization crew. In this role, you will be responsible for making the text in Nexon’s games fun, immersive, and a pleasure for players to experience. Daily activities include things like writing dialogue for earmuffed dragons, re-naming skills so they follow a common theme, sorting through the nuances of complex time travel stories and rewriting them so they're emotionally compelling, and working with other editors to decide zone names, punctuation rules, NPC personality quirks, and more.
What you can expect to do in your new gig
- Edit and re-write translated game text and voice over scripts to ensure readability and comprehension for an American audience.
- Contribute creative input for game text and Nexon’s various communication channels.
- Create and update various localization documents, such as style guides, NPC documents, story bibles, voiceover scripts, and so on.
- Help come up with style directions for content updates for Nexon games by initiating style meetings with the team leader and copy editing lead.
- Correct bugs and typos of in-game content. Perform in-game testing to identify text problems.
- Attend voiceover sessions to provide contextual support as needed.
- Handle logistics, scheduling, and other administrative tasks as needed.
- Become an expert on the games you handle.
Skills & Requirements
Your qualifications include:
- You understand that writing is a craft honed through hours of practice—hours you’ve put in. Adverbs make you cringe; redundancies keep you awake at night. You understand that first drafts are horrible, so you’ve learned how to return to your work again and again until it shines.
- Some would say you are well-versed in different styles and can switch between them on the fly. You reach for a red pen whenever you see a misplaced modifier. You have an opinion about the serial comma yet can edit against your preference without complaint. Subject-verb disagreement drives you insane.
- Great writing takes a gracious critiquee and a tactful critiquer. You know that feedback improves your writing, so you can listen to tough words about your work without getting defensive. Instead, you mentally process the feedback and then find the best way to apply it to your writing.
- Emails, meetings, phone, and face-to-face—when people talk, you get what they’re saying, even between the lines, and you know how to communicate back in a way that’s easy for them to digest. You take the time to comprehend storytelling from other cultures, and you’re patient enough to create literary gold out of rough translations.
- You know how to keep track of your tasks. You know how to prioritize. Missing deadlines annoys you almost as much as passive voice sentences, so you never miss them.
- You’ve been a part of the working world for at least 3 years, with at least a year of professional writing or editing experience. If you’ve spent a couple of those years in the game industry or at a localization agency, that’s even better.
- Being passionate about games wouldn’t hurt. Shooters, RPGs, puzzles, online or off—you love playing games and you love talking about them. You love them so much that the thought of spending hours searching for text bugs in games you’ll be helping to publish excites you.
- We love team work yes WE do! WE love team work how bout you!? You write and edit alone, but you enjoy working with others to make a product shine, even if it sometimes means putting in extra hours.
We also like to see:
- Hardcore gamers with an in-depth knowledge of the online game market, first person shooters, influencers, eSports and various progressive business models.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail and customer service experience.
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic and changing work environment and work in cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
How to Apply
- Cover letters are optional, but encouraged
- 2-3 writing samples (fiction)